Some historical building projects we have worked on:
Great Western Design Outlet - Swindon
Acting for both BAA McArthur Glen and Carillion Properties Ltd. as consulting civil and structural engineers for their successful and widely known designer outlet project, which is the largest covered outlet centre in Europe.
The works have involved the sensitive alteration and conservation of the existing Grade II* listed buildings. The site was originally developed and designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Daniel Gooch, later buildings were designed by Joseph Armstrong and George Jackson Churchward.
A Civic Trust award was given to Melliss for their valuable contribution to the quality and appearance of the environment for the project.
A Factory Outlet Shopping Centre providing 14,570 sq.m. (156,800 sq. ft.) net retail floor space at Chatham Maritime situated at the east end of the Medway tunnel. The project, valued at £20 million, involved new construction both within and around a Grade II* listed building known as the Boiler Shop and which is constructed in wrought and cast iron.
The project involved close liaison with English Heritage, Medway's Conservation Officer, Planning Department and Building Control departments to agree both the principles and final details of recladding, loading and fixing to the existing structure which is a very interesting and historically important example of early iron framed buildings in this country. New construction both within and totally encompassing the existing frame was kept completely independent from the existing structure, both above and below ground level.
At the west end of the building a new barrel vaulted tri-girder roof has been constructed as part of the atrium main entrance to the development, whilst at the east end, the first floor food court is roofed by a fabric canopy supported on a long span arched truss at the apex and perimeter horizontal trusses springing from large reinforced concrete support buttresses.
Rex Cinema Site
Berkhamstead (42 Units)
Development of this site was tied to the retention and refurbishment of the existing 1936 Grade II listed David Nye designed art deco cinema and shops, with accommodation over.
A full structural survey was undertaken for the steel trusses supporting the cinema roof and the accommodation over the shop units. Extension and conversion of the shop units to the flats required under pinning of the cinema walls due to reduced ground levels.
Due to the sloping nature of the site and surrounding roads, an undercroft parking scheme was required for the development of the new flats. Construction of the superstructure consists of a braced steel frame transfer structure between basement and ground floor with load bearing masonry walls and precast concrete floor slabs over.
Reinforced concrete retaining wall deal with the different in ground levels across the site.
The increase in surface water run off necessitated a surface water retention scheme to prevent surcharge of the existing sewer system.
This development consisted of three tranches, two of which formed part of the old Amersham hospital and a further section of new build.
The oldest building was built in 1838/39 and designed by Sit Gilbert Scott originally a workhouse, probably the first in the country, with napped flint external walls set in brick quoins and with brick backing walls. This building was converted to dwelling units with new dormer rooms set within the strengthened roof structure (4 units).
Planning restrictions required that the late Victorian/early Edwardian nursing accommodation was retained and converted into one and two bedroomed flats. All of the above required detailed surveys of the existing building structures and fabric, to ascertain the work needed to upgrade them.
New build was for ten units of town houses and mixed flats in load bearing masonry walls with timber floor construction.