Home
Contact
Structural
Structural
Retail
Education
Offices
Residential
Warehouses
Leisure
Healthcare
Transport
Historical
Civil
Civil
SUDS
Marine
CDM
Legal Work
Partners
History
Associations
Clients
Links

 

Some residential projects we have worked on:



Canon House Wallington


Melliss have recently been appointed by Henry Homes Plc. to undertake full structural engineering consultancy services for a residential site in Wallington incorporating extensive refurbishment and additional two-storey extensions to the existing building, an additional 9-storey wing, raised car park and 7500 sq.ft. suspended courtyard roof garden podium structure. Our appointment is for RIBA stages A-C beyond which we will be novated to the appointed main contractor to complete the design.


Rex Cinema Site

Berkhamstead (42 Units)


Development of this site was tied to the retention and refurbishment of the existing 1936 Grade II listed David Nye designed art deco cinema and shops, with accommodation over.


A full structural survey was undertaken for the steel trusses supporting the cinema roof and the accommodation over the shop units. Extension and conversion of the shop units to the flats required under pinning of the cinema walls due to reduced ground levels.


Due to the sloping nature of the site and surrounding roads, an undercroft parking scheme was required for the development of the new flats. Construction of the superstructure consists of a braced steel frame transfer structure between basement and ground floor with load bearing masonry walls and precast concrete floor slabs over.


Reinforced concrete retaining wall deal with the different in ground levels across the site.


The increase in surface water run off necessitated a surface water retention scheme to prevent surcharge of the existing sewer system.



Whielden Street

Amersham


This development consisted of three tranches, two of which formed part of the old Amersham hospital and a further section of new build.


The oldest building was built in 1838/39 and designed by Sit Gilbert Scott originally a workhouse, probably the first in the country, with napped flint external walls set in brick quoins and with brick backing walls. This building was converted to dwelling units with new dormer rooms set within the strengthened roof structure (4 units).


Planning restrictions required that the late Victorian/early Edwardian nursing accommodation was retained and converted into one and two bedroomed flats. All of the above required detailed surveys of the existing building structures and fabric, to ascertain the work needed to upgrade them.


New build was for ten units of town houses and mixed flats in load bearing masonry walls with timber floor construction.